Welcome to the Federated Wiki weekly video call
Today, we have:
1. David was first talking about a blog post that I wrote at http://coevolving.com/blogs/index.php/archive/incubating-service-systems-thinking/
2. Then David talked about a paper I'm working on now is in the federated wiki at http://fed.coevolving.com/view/teleological-systems-development-and-ateleological-systems-development
3. Open source community
- Originally the first wiki was clunky, then community took over open source -- could do this in 1995
- Technology more advanced today
- People know what they want to do on the web, click two buttons ... or one button
4. At its core, federated is a simple program
- Takes creative commons, and tries to instantiatee that as a commons, rather than a site
- A commons can grow and fracture: cultures and subcultures
- Wikipedia invests a lot of energy in keeping people working the right way, to keep the standards up
- Federated wiki an experiment, more like the web, and less like a database
5. David talked about the design of inquiring systems, by C. West Churchman
6. Semantic wiki as a way of getting the ideas across wikis?
- Wanted to capture what came out of XML
- DBPedia scraped out of Wikipedia
- Then Wikipedia tried wikidata, which was semantic wiki people trying again – <http://www.wikidata.org/>
- They wanted a commons
- Have just enough ontology to do a reasonable organization of the dbpedia
7. David has been looking at two notations / languages / methodologies
- i* from the U. of Toronto, see http://istarwiki.org/tiki-index.php?page=iStarQuickGuide
- OPM Object Process Methodology from Technion http://esml.iem.technion.ac.il/opm/opcat-installation/
8. Semantic wiki, Doug Lenox, all of the common knowledge that you need to know
- Doug is a Lisp guy
9. Ward found a bug last week (that Paul may have fixed, before)
- A page with code, so load the plugin for code
- Then plugin says need Prettify, but then display went on, reloading Prettify before any of the others ones finished
- Loaded 5 times
10. Every plugin written as new
- Could browserify the plugins across the two repos?
- New: webpath, uses common JS modules
- Browserify just the plugin, not all of them?
- Webpath does a good job of factoring bundles into subbundles: page-specific, whereas general
- Worth checking out
- Still in a situation where we don't want everything centralized
- Can't run across all of the modules, no one has them all
- If we had two plugins using Prettify, we would have two copies
11. Paul dabbling in React, looking at Clojure
- Wrote Lisp in the 1980s
- Ward wrote Lisp when doing integrated circuit work: C program that understanding the switching model of CMOS
- Lisp in 10 pages of C, to use the simulator
- Also MacLisp, on OnsLisp for graphics
- Write the language that you want to write in, and then write macros around it until it works
- But then everyone speaks a different language, everyone is a silo of one
12. Maybe not as true today, because of better package managers
13. Federation opens the door for data sharing, don't yet have that nailed
- Better model to thing about? rummaging around the DOM, passing around events
14. React has a data structure that is a page state
- But then need a comprehensive view
- Binding different in fed wiki: bind then unbind?
15. Make a recent changes functionaltiy different from the fed wiki, a standalone application like pinterest?
- Not a wiki, not editable?
16. The movie, The Newspaper: it only has to be true for 24 hours
17. Using Twitter to find zealots, moved over to Diaspora, can't kick them off
- How do we control malcontents if they're on Disapora
- Could be a day where fed wiki has something similar happening
- The same thing happens in nature: cults form
- Peer-to-peer technology
Here's the transcript from the Google Hangout chat
To list all available commands, enter "/?".
You're frozen, Ward.
Paul Rodwell joined group chat.
Allen Byerly joined group chat.
We were first talking about a blog post that I wrote at http://coevolving.com/blogs/index.php/archive/incubating-service-systems-thinking/
Then, a paper I'm working on now is in the federated wiki at http://fed.coevolving.com/view/teleological-systems-development-and-ateleological-systems-development
I had a problem starting up the Etherpad, but now have it at http://etherpad-coevolving.rhcloud.com/p/2014-08-27
I need to drop off.... thank you everyone!